Chopper - Time Magazine Volume 33, No. 26

On the Mike’s machine guns website, I found the link to the Thompson history, written by Theodore H. Eickhoff, “The Development of the Thompson Submachine Gun”. For those who have not read it, I’ll use Mikes own words to describe it and it is well worth a read. “This little history was written by Theodore Eickhoff about his experience with John Thompson and developing the Thompson sub machine gun. This is copied word for word from a personal typed letter by Mr. Eickhoff to his family”.

The last paragraph of the story states,"Occasionally I would hear bits of news about the Auto-Ordnance Corporation until finally General Thompson sent me a clipping of the Time Magazine, issue of June 26, 1939, where, on page 67, in the Business & finance Section, under the heading of “Munitions” and sub-heading “Chopper”, there appeared a concise article on the history and demise of the Auto-Ordnance Corporation”.

My curiosity got the better of me, and I then began a search for a copy of Time Magazine Volume 33, No. 26, which I eventually found, thanks to the World Wide Web. The article in question makes interesting reading, although a lot shorter than I was expecting.

I have scanned the article in question, saved in JPG format to reduce the file size, and attached it to this post for anyone who wishes to read it. The second page has only a small closing paragraph, at the top right hand side of the page. I have it copied in PDF format for anyone who wants a copy, which is just over 2 MB in size.

Stay safe

Richard

Chopper article P67.jpg

Chopper article P68.jpg

• Upvote 2

The author states that after 1928 unsold Colt TSMGs were given the "cosmolene" (old spelling?) treatment and stored away in crates. If that did indeed occur, that would create a lot of extra work for AOC employees to treat 9,000 Colt TSMGs and then go through the laborious process of cleaning the metal and wood when Federal Laboratories, Incorporated, of Pittsburg received purchase orders. When by the early 1930's orders were down to single digit numbers for an entire month, maybe AOC figured they had nothing but spare time to deal with degreasing a crated TSMG.